Canadian Mational Historic Sites Plaque: Marshall McLuhan
This historic plaque at 6 Joseph Street, also designated as “Marshall McLuhan Way,” was unveiled on October 14, 2011 on the campus of St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto, during the centenary year of Marshall McLuhan’s birth.
Description: Located at 6 St. Joseph Street in Toronto, this plaque is about University of Toronto professor Marshall McLuhan. McLuhan was known worldwide for his theories and new concepts regarding the media, technology and communication. McLuhan is also credited with coining such memorable phrases as the “global village” and “the medium is the message”. http://tinyurl.com/8a46s2c
The text on the plaque reads in English:
A pioneer of media studies, this University of Toronto professor became famous in the 1960s for his provocative theories about the impact of print and electronic media on human perception and behaviour. Teaching literary criticism led him to the idea that meaning was shaped by the technology of communication. His innovative work probed the influence of the printed word on society, the effects of combining print and images in advertising, and the world-wide impact of radio and television. The concepts of the ” global village” and “the medium is the message” made McLuhan one of the most celebrated scholars in the Western world.
Filed under: Centenary, Education, Events, Remembrance | Leave a Comment
Tags: biography, centenary, culture, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising art articles biography books call for papers centenary communication conferences culture e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions global village ideas Internet interviews John Lennon Laws of Media lectures literature McLuhan media media ecology meetings music Northrop Frye photography print reading religion review rhetoric technology Ted Carpenter Toronto TV university video Winnipeg
- Advent of Google means we must rethink our approach to education m.guardian.co.uk/education/2013… 22 hours ago
- Cyberutopianism should not be a dirty word. - It's is when we forget "technology giveth and technology taketh away". slate.com/articles/techn… 1 day ago
- Bloomsday Memories - NYTimes.com nytimes.com/2013/06/16/boo… 2 days ago
- Study: Reading Fiction Makes People Comfortable With Ambiguity psmag.com/blogs/news-blo… 2 days ago
- Our Schools, Cut Off From the Web - NYTimes.com nytimes.com/2013/06/17/opi… 2 days ago