Happy 101 st Birthday, Marshall McLuhan!
“Innumerable confusions and a feeling of despair invariably emerge in periods of great technological and cultural transition.” – Marshall McLuhan
“I’m not advocating anything; I’m merely probing and predicting trends. Even if I opposed them or thought them disastrous, I couldn’t stop them, so why waste my time lamenting? As Carlyle said of author Margaret Fuller after she remarked, “I accept the Universe”: “She’d better.” I see no possibility of a worldwide Luddite rebellion that will smash all machinery to bits, so we might as well sit back and see what is happening and what will happen to us in a cybernetic world. Resenting a new technology will not halt its progress”. – McLuhan, Playboy Interview, 1969
Filed under: Centenary, Events, Meetings, Quotes, Remembrance | 2 Comments
Tags: centenary, culture, events, meetings, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising art articles biography books call for papers centenary communication conferences culture e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions global village ideas Internet interviews John Lennon Laws of Media lectures literature McLuhan media media ecology meetings music Northrop Frye photography print reading religion review rhetoric technology Ted Carpenter Toronto TV university video Winnipeg
- Cyberutopianism should not be a dirty word. - It's is when we forget "technology giveth and technology taketh away". slate.com/articles/techn… 14 hours ago
- Bloomsday Memories - NYTimes.com nytimes.com/2013/06/16/boo… 15 hours ago
- Study: Reading Fiction Makes People Comfortable With Ambiguity psmag.com/blogs/news-blo… 15 hours ago
- Our Schools, Cut Off From the Web - NYTimes.com nytimes.com/2013/06/17/opi… 15 hours ago
- Online universities: it's time for teachers to join the revolution | Education | The Observer guardian.co.uk/education/2013… 1 day ago