‘Re-touching McLuhan – The Medium is the Massage’ Conference, Berlin, May 27-29
How does this media and telecommunications visionary shape our political perception of media? During the Re-touching McLuhan conference, experts from various fields explored how to apply McLuhan’s concepts to a strengthened sense of human rights and freedom of expression based on the today’s fundamental precepts of digital mobility, open technologies and collaborative networks.
An overflow audience of 280 people attended the opening keynote by Prof. Richard Cavell, author of ‘McLuhan in Space: A Cultural Geography’ who explored the relationship between tactility and the digital.
Taking a tour from what relevance does McLuhan have in describing and understanding computing today by looking at contemporary art dealing with media, the examination of his most important insights into the interplay between media and the senses, including the notion of acoustic space, and his famous assumption that technology extends our central nervous system directly into the various social systems, the Canadian and German conference speakers reflected on McLuhan’s founding concept of tactility in the context of its time and relevance to our media society today. Both, participants on site and online, vividly discussed the current subject.
Select lectures on video:-
Re-Touching McLuhan: Dr. Richard Cavell Keynote Lecture
Janine Marchessault: McLuhan’s Fair – Expo ’67 as Counterblast
Michael Darroch: Explorations Across Anonymous History & Acoustic Space
View other video lectures here: http://mcluhan2011.eu/video-archive/
Filed under: Academic, Centenary, Conferences, Ideas, Lectures, Scholars, Video | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, centenary, conferences, Europe, lectures, university, video
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- How technology spawned a global village — and created a world of dissension &@strife mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/04/23/how… 6 days ago
- Someone combined the best parts of the Kindle and iPad mashable.com/2017/04/18/pap… via @mashable 1 week ago
- Postmodern Display: Staging the Mind of Marshall McLuhan – The Illumination of… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/pos… https://t.co/pLhGrmzefD 2 weeks ago
- The Movie Theatre Blowhard From Annie Hall Finally Gets His Say mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/04/06/the… https://t.co/VsrdsiQ5de 3 weeks ago
- A Technology Example of McLuhan’s Reversal of Cause and Effect mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/29/a-t… https://t.co/GaUWs0SFsN 1 month ago