McLuhan at the International Festival of Authors, Toronto, Oct. 19-30, 2011
The following are the Marshall McLuhan Centenary-related events only:-
1. McLUHAN 100 READING/INTERVIEW: Clay Shirky
This event is part of McLuhan 100, in honour of the 100th birthday of media theorist Marshall McLuhan. An educator, philosopher, scholar, literary critic, and communication theorist, McLuhan changed the way we think about technology and the way we communicate.
Douglas Coupland’s first novel, Generation X, was published in March 1991. Since then he has published several novels and non-fiction books and presented as a visual artist, with exhibitions in North America, Europe and Asia. He premiered his first feature film,Everything’s Gone Green, in 2006 and a TV series based on his novel jPod premiered on the CBC in 2008. Written with his trademark humour and brilliance, Coupland presents Marshall McLuhan – part of Penguin Group’s Extraordinary Canadians Series – which aptly conveys McLuhan’s legacy on the current state of new media.
3. READING/INTERVIEW: Brooke Gladstone
This event is part of CBC Day, where Canada’s national broadcaster, the CBC, lends members of its radio and television team to host, moderate or interview at Festival events.
Brooke Gladstone is the cohost and managing editor of the National Public Radio newsmagazine, On the Media. She has also served as NPR’s media correspondent, Russia reporter, and senior editor of both Weekend Edition and All Things Considered. She has won numerous awards including two Peabody Awards, a few Murrow Awards, the National Press Club’s press criticism award, and was the recipient of a Knight Fellowship at Stanford University. With illustrations by acclaimed artist Josh Neufeld, Gladstone presents The Influencing Machine, a graphic novel on the complexities of the modern media. http://tinyurl.com/3t6al8a
Filed under: Centenary, Events, Meetings, Reading, Writers | Leave a Comment
Tags: books, centenary, communication, culture, events, meetings, print, reading, Toronto
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- transmediale Marshall McLuhan Lecture 2017 in Berlin to be Delivered by Dr. Sarah Sharma mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/tra… https://t.co/dOVEFPNFgE 2 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Winter Program: Monday Night Seminar on Creative Data, January 23 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/mcl… https://t.co/O30FrXRmva 4 days ago
- McLuhan on Campus Exhibit (Oct 13 – Dec 20, 2016) Featured on Salt + Light Television youtube.com/watch?feature=… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/mcl… 5 days ago
- McLuhan Salon #3: McLuhan Salon: Hacks, Leaks and Breaches, January 19,@2017 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/mcl… https://t.co/SW4V4CnMZq 2 weeks ago
- Marshall McLuhan Can Save Humans From Destroying Ourselves With Technology mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/01/03/mar… https://t.co/jPYgxrrw2i 2 weeks ago