Canadian Mational Historic Sites Plaque: Marshall McLuhan
This historic plaque at 6 Joseph Street, also designated as “Marshall McLuhan Way,” was unveiled on October 14, 2011 on the campus of St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto, during the centenary year of Marshall McLuhan’s birth.
Description: Located at 6 St. Joseph Street in Toronto, this plaque is about University of Toronto professor Marshall McLuhan. McLuhan was known worldwide for his theories and new concepts regarding the media, technology and communication. McLuhan is also credited with coining such memorable phrases as the “global village” and “the medium is the message”. http://tinyurl.com/8a46s2c
The text on the plaque reads in English:
A pioneer of media studies, this University of Toronto professor became famous in the 1960s for his provocative theories about the impact of print and electronic media on human perception and behaviour. Teaching literary criticism led him to the idea that meaning was shaped by the technology of communication. His innovative work probed the influence of the printed word on society, the effects of combining print and images in advertising, and the world-wide impact of radio and television. The concepts of the ” global village” and “the medium is the message” made McLuhan one of the most celebrated scholars in the Western world.
Filed under: Centenary, Education, Events, Remembrance | Leave a Comment
Tags: biography, centenary, culture, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters literature McLuhan McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings Miscellaneous music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science surveillance technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto Toronto School tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- Marshall McLuhan’s Culture Is Our Business (1970)@Republished wp.me/pWYA6-1HC 2 hours ago
- McLuhan-related Programming at Vancouver’s Annual Chutzpah Cultural Festival, Feb 19-Mar 15 wp.me/pWYA6-1Hy 1 day ago
- A Toronto Telegram Newspaper Clipping from Oct. 2, 1969: U of T(oronto) Radicals Routed wp.me/pWYA6-1Hi 3 days ago
- Shakespearean, meet Shakespeare: Mark Rylance views first folio gu.com/p/464b6/stw 4 days ago
- ISIS Burns 8000 Rare Books and Manuscripts in Mosul via @thefiscaltimes shar.es/1WJL6h via @sharethis 4 days ago