“We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us”
The quote “We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us” is often mistakenly attributed to Marshall McLuhan. It does NOT appear in “Understanding Media”, as Wilson Miner confidently asserts in the presentation below, indeed it does not appear in any published work by McLuhan at all. The quote was actually written by Father John Culkin, SJ, a Professor of Communication at Fordham University in New York and friend of McLuhan. But though the quote is Culkin’s, I would argue that the idea is McLuhan’s, as it comes up in an article by Culkin about McLuhan: Culkin, J.M. (1967, March 18). A schoolman’s guide to Marshall McLuhan. Saturday Review, pp. 51-53, 71-72. The idea presented in the quote is entirely consistent with McLuhan’s thinking on technology in general.
Photos of Father John Culkin and Marshall McLuhan
This excellent 38 minute presentation by digital product designer Wilson Miner is titled “When We Build” and weaves together a discussion about Marshall McLuhan, Steve Jobs, the things we design and build, cars, computers, art and design. It is well worth watching and listening to.
About Wilson Miner http://wilsonminer.com/
Filed under: Art, Commentary, Ideas, Internet, New Media, Quotes, Technology, Video | 26 Comments
Tags: art, communication, culture, ideas, Internet, media ecology, technology, video
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- The Toronto School THEN | NOW | NEXT International Conference October 13-16,@2016 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/the… https://t.co/0twd6KyfJZ 6 days ago
- From The Second Storey: Print is now Counterculture mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/fro… https://t.co/z4EECoQLfU 6 days ago
- Invitation to attend Heritage Toronto Plaque Unveiling for the McLuhan Centre for Culture… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/13/inv… https://t.co/4WQef2xt2U 1 week ago
- Glenn Gould & the giants of the Toronto School of Communication mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/12/gle… https://t.co/wO104svAqZ 2 weeks ago
- Addendum to: René Cera’s Mural Painting “Pied Piper’s All” (1969) is Returning to St. Michael’s College mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/11/add… 2 weeks ago