Mansaram Featured at Experimenta 2013, Bangalore, India
Canadian-Indian artist Mansaram’s films, “Rear View Mirror”, “Intersect” and “Devi Stuffed Goat and Pink Cloth” were screened at Experimenta 2013, India’s first and only independent festival celebrating moving image art. Presented in Bangalore, India, this groundbreaking festival showcased over 50 films and videos from across the world, hosted live experimental music performances, installations, and talks over 5 days at the Max Mueller Bhavan and Badami House. Curated by Shai Heredia, Mansaram’s featured work captures elements of Marshall McLuhan’s prophetic ideas that continue to define and clarify our media-saturated world.
1st December| Sunday | 5:30pm | 30mins | MMB
ARTIST PROFILE – PANCHAL MANSARAM
Curated by Shai Heredia
Panchal Mansaram was born in 1934 in Mount Abu, Rajasthan. In 1966, Mansaram immigrated to Canada, where he met Marshall Mcluhan and A.V. Isaacs. In this series of films and videos Mansaram’s work captures elements of McLuhan’s prophetic ideas that continue to define and clarify our media-saturated world.
1. ‘Rear View Mirror’ Canada/India 1966-2011 16mm on video sound 13 min
“I had the privilege of meeting Marshall McLuhan, soon after arrival in Canada from India. I was already impressed by his ideas through magazines back home. Encouraged by him I did a mixed media concert at the Isaacs Gallery in Toronto, titled East West Intersect, in 67. Later I started doing a series of paintings titled Rear View Mirror in early 70’s, the title borrowed from McLuhan. I was inspired to do a film on the same subject. It was shown in India and Canada. In 2011, I had reedited this film as part of a show at Ed Video media art Centre in Guelph. As in the case of ‘Rear View Mirror’ we are constantly creating our past, while living in the present. Past appears in present in various forms; paintings, drawings, photos, memories, words, sculptures, films. I have woven some of those remnants thru this medium.” – P. M.
Descriptions of Mansaram’s other two films can be found in the full Experimenta 2013 programe (pdf): http://tinyurl.com/mga6uxx
Marshall McLuhan and P. Mansaram at the opening for Mansaram’s ‘Rear View Mirror’ exhibition at the Picture Loan Gallery in Toronto, 1974.
Filed under: Art, Articles, Exhibitions, Films, Media Events, Video | Leave a Comment
Tags: art, articles, communication, culture, exhibitions, media, video
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 19 hours ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 3 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 4 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 4 days ago
- A Short Video on Marshall McLuhan & “The Medium Is The Message” mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/a-s… https://t.co/2ByGb56gZD 6 days ago