New Book Announcement: Finding McLuhan: The Mind\The Man\The Message
Fifty years ago, Tom Wolfe asked this now famous question of Marshall McLuhan: “what if he is right?” Fifty years later, McLuhan’s biographer, Douglas Coupland; his sons, Eric and Michael McLuhan; and sixteen scholars explore in this dynamic collection the many ways in which he was, indeed, right. Engaging with McLuhan’s remarkable legacy and responding to his call to participate actively in understanding technologies, Finding McLuhan offers relevant and timely insights for readers encountering him for the first time and for those re-encountering and re-evaluating him. With a robust line-up of established scholars and newer voices from different disciplinary traditions, this volume offers multiple sites of entry ranging from theories of landscape and art, aboriginal innovations and medical instruments, to practical pedagogical and rhetorical applications. It concludes with three short, insightful interviews with Douglas Coupland, Eric McLuhan and Michael McLuhan, who provide intimate glimpses into McLuhan as friend, colleague, husband, and father.
“An exciting collection … Its authors make rich, well-researched, and consistent contributions to both long-standing and contemporary debates about McLuhan.” — Michael Darroch, Associate Professor of Media Art Histories & Visual Culture, University of Windsor & Director of IN/TERMINUS: Media, Art, and Urban Ecologies
- Hardcover: 304 pages
- Publisher: University of Regina Press (May 30, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0889773742
- ISBN-13: 978-0889773745
About the Editors
Professor and chair of Rhetoric, Writing & Communications at the University of Winnipeg, Jacqueline McLeod Rogers has recently published in such areas as transatlantic suffrage, mommy blogging ethics and prison literature.
Tracy Whalen is an Associate Professor of Rhetoric, Writing & Communications at the University of Winnipeg where she focuses on contemporary Canadian rhetoric. She has published in the areas of rhetoric and charisma, iconicity, literary style, and embodied performance.
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Books about McLuhan, Education, Ideas | 3 Comments
Tags: academic, books, communication, culture, education, ideas, media, university, Winnipeg
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago