Finally Getting the Message: McLuhan’s Media Practice – A Lecture by Graham Larkin at the McLuhan Salon, Canadian Embassy, Berlin, in 2011
This lecture by art historian and researcher Graham Larkin was delivered at the McLuhan Salon, at the Canadian Embassy in Berlin in 2011, during the centenary celebrations for the birth on July 21, 1911 of Marshall McLuhan. It only recently became available online. Follow this link to the online Hybrid Lecture Player, which provides the best viewing, with Graham Larkin lecturing in a window at the top right, a window on the top left that shows the archive documents he’s talking about, and the text of his lecture below it: https://mcluhan.consortium.io/ .
The one hour and 42 minute lecture is divided into the following sections: Intro, McLuhan’s Media Practice, Orality, Reading/Writing, Viewing Listening/Watching, Being a Character, Research publishing, Blow-up, The Freewheeing McLuhan. And it covers the following publications: The Mechanical Bride, Counterblast, Understanding Media, The Mediaum is the Massage, The McLuhan DEW Line, Explorations.
Here is the lecture by itself for anyone not wanting to view it on the Hybrid Lecture Player:
Filed under: Academic, Commentary, Education, Ideas, Lectures, Media Ecology, Scholars, Theory | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, communication, culture, education, Europe, ideas, lectures, media ecology, video
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago