iSchool Colloquia Series: Unfinished McLuhan: Failures, Unfinished Projects & the Art of Kintsugi
Please join us as guest speaker Andrew Chrystall, Senior Lecturer in the School of Communication, Journalism and Marketing at Massey University, New Zealand and current McLuhan Fellow (The McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology at the Coach House Institute) launches this year’s iSchool Colloquia Series, with his talk “Unfinished McLuhan: Failures, Unfinished Projects and the Art of Kintsugi.”
Would we think more of Milton if his masterpiece was incomplete? What about McLuhan? What if all we had were fragments? Broken (or double) perspective is a way of involving an audience in the action and providing an inclusive vision. Here, this presentation seeks to do precisely this by offering a retrospective of McLuhan’s failures and incomplete projects—his musicals, plays, films, TV projects, political manoeuvres, and unpublished works—through the lens of archival fragments. The goal is to nuance and contribute to an evolving portrait of McLuhan, to open up spaces for future explorations of unsafe ideas, and enable (if not also motivate) us to walk beyond yet beside him.
Dr Andrew Chrystall is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Communication, Journalism and Marketing at Massey University, New Zealand. His research seeks to develop and extend the work of Marshall McLuhan and the Toronto School of Communication. In addition to his primary discipline(s)—Media and Communication Studies—Dr. Chrystall has a background in Public Relations, Sociology and Theology. Dr Chrystall also likes surfing, playing judo and is an underwhelming jazz guitarist.
Light refreshments will be provided. All iSchool Colloquia talks are free and open to the public.
Information Source: http://tinyurl.com/ooqz634
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Education, Lectures, Media Ecology, Scholars | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, communication, culture, education, ideas, lectures, media ecology, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 8 hours ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 1 day ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 2 days ago
- A Short Video on Marshall McLuhan & “The Medium Is The Message” mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/a-s… https://t.co/2ByGb56gZD 3 days ago
- B.W. Powe’s Homage to Leonard Cohen, February,@2017 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/18/b-w… https://t.co/65pjFhEbxX 5 days ago