McLuhan Legacy Network Meeting, Monday, October 5 at the Coach House, University of Toronto
Marshall McLuhan at the Coach House, St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto (courtesy of Robert Lansdale Photography, U of Toronto Archives)
Please join us for our Fall quarterly meeting at the historic Coach House where Marshall McLuhan taught at his Centre for Culture and Technology from 1967 to 1980. The McLuhan Legacy Network (MLN) was established in 2011 to celebrate the centenary of McLuhan’s birth on July 21, 1911 in Edmonton Alberta. And we have continued to meet on a varying schedule ever since. The MLN also holds a celebratory McLuhan birthday lunch on July 21 every summer.
Location: The Coach House, adjacent to the rear of the Kelly Library, St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto – Time: 7:30 PM, Monday, October 5
The agenda will include the following, not necessarily in this order:-
- Welcome and Introductions
- Rita Leistner, author of Looking for Marshall McLuhan in Afghanistan, (see http://www.lookingformarshallmcluhan.com/ ) which was a finalist for a Media Ecology Association Book Award last year, will briefly talk about her book and her recent exhibition of it at Photoville in New York Last month.
- Rita Leistner will then share an audio recording of a Marshall McLuhan lecture delivered in California, which came into her possession this year that likely has never been heard by anyone locally.
- Paolo Granata from the University of Bologna, who is a McLuhan scholar and Fellow and visiting professor at the iSchool will discuss his proposed research while he is at U of T, as well as the plans for next year’s Media Ecology Association Convention at the University of Bologna in June, the MEA’s first convention in Europe.
- Dr. Arthur McLuhan, grandson of Marshall McLuhan and a recently minted PhD who now teaches at York University will talk about a project he is leading called mLab, with a focus on Media Literacy and his interaction with the Marshall McLuhan Highschool.
- General Discussion
We have no budget for coffee or refreshments at this time, so feel free to bring your own.
The McLuhan Legacy Network sponsors two Google Groups: A McLuhan Legacy group that was initiated in the McLuhan centenary year of 2011, and a Rethinking the Book group concerned with books in the digital age. Both are low volume groups that share information as required. If you would like to join either or both groups, email Robert Logan or yours truly, or speak to one of us at the next meeting.
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Education, Media Ecology, Meetings, Uncategorized | 8 Comments
Tags: academic, communication, culture, education, media, meetings, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago