Announcement of a Forthcoming Book: Counterblasting Canada: Marshall McLuhan, Wyndham Lewis, Wilfred Watson, & Sheila Watson
In 1914, Ezra Pound and Wyndham Lewis—the founders of Vorticism—undertook an unprecedented analysis of the present, its technologies, communication, politics, and architecture. The essays in Counterblasting Canada trace the influence of Vorticism on Marshall McLuhan and Canadian Modernism. Building on the initial accomplishment of Blast, McLuhan’s subsequent Counterblast, and the network of artistic and intellectual relationships that flourished in Canadian Vorticism, the contributors offer groundbreaking examinations of postwar Canadian literary culture, particularly the legacies of Sheila and Wilfred Watson. Intended primarily for scholars of literature and communications, Counterblasting Canada explores a crucial and long-overlooked strand in Canadian cultural and literary history.
Contributors: Gregory Betts, Adam Hammond, Dean Irvine, Elena Lamberti, Philip Monk, Linda Morra, Kristine Smitka, Leon Surette, Paul Tiessen, Adam Welch, Darren Wershler.
Features: Bibliography, notes, index
Keywords: Literary History/Cultural History
Subject(s): LITERARY CRITICISM / Modern / 20th Century, LITERARY COLLECTIONS / Canadian, Literary History/Cultural History
Publisher(s): The University of Alberta Press
Gregory Betts is the Chancellor’s Chair for Research Excellence at Brock University in St. Catharines, the Director of Canadian Studies, and an Associate Professor in English.
Paul Hjartarson is Professor Emeritus in English and Film Studies at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.
Kristine Smitka teaches in the Department of English and Film Studies at the University of Alberta.
Elena Lamberti teaches American and Canadian Literature and Culture at the University of Bologna.
Darren Wershler Associate Professor in the English Department at Concordia University.
Adam Hammond, Adam Welch, Paul Tiessen, Philip Monk, Dean Irvine, Linda Morra.
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Books on McLuhan, Education, Ideas, Literature | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, books, communication, culture, education, ideas, literature, media
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago