The Marshall McLuhan Award for Investigative Journalism: Public Lecture by Joseph Morong, 2015 Winner
GMA News reporter Joseph Morong received the 2015 McLuhan Fellowship award from Canadian Ambassador to the Philippines Neil Reeder.
Morong received the award during a courtesy call on the ambassador as 2015’s Marshall McLuhan Fellow. See http://goo.gl/q6Yu5r
The Marshall McLuhan Prize is the Embassy of Canada in Manila’s flagship public diplomacy initiative. Launched in 1997, this is an advocacy to encourage investigative journalism in the Philippines with the belief that a strong media is essential to a strong democratic society.
Every year, the Manila-based Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR) assists the Embassy in choosing a Filipino journalist who has either published an outstanding piece of investigative report or possesses a collective body of journalistic work that contributes to positive changes in the social arena or at least has raised the level of public discourse in a relevant issue. Aside from contributing to good governance by raising transparency in the public arena, the McLuhan Prize also aims to create in the long-term a critical mass of influential media personalities with good knowledge and interest in Canadian issues or at least the values Canada stands for: democracy, good governance, and human rights.
Sun Life Financial Inc is a partner of the Embassy of Canada in this initiative by providing funding to the recipient’s travel to Canada.
Joseph Morong, a senior reporter for GMA Network Inc, one of the Philippines’ largest news organizations, was named the 19th Marshall McLuhan Fellow in recognition of his reportage in the past year focusing on the complex issues surrounding the peace process in Mindanao and other important issues of governance, particularly allegations of misuse of congressional funds. Mr. Morong has more than 15 years of experience as a broadcast journalist and is known to have covered various important beats.
Registration is required and free. Eventbrite Registration here: https://goo.gl/pwsTzb
- Thursday, 11 February 2016 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EST) – Add to Calendar
- McLuhan Centre for Culture and Technology Coach House Institute – 39A Queens Park Crescente E. Off 121 St. Joseph st.. Toronto, ON M5S 2C3 CA – View Map
ADDENDUM January 12: WINNER OF MCLUHAN FELLOWSHIP: Investigative Journalist Joseph Morong to visit Marshall McLuhan Catholic Secondary School
Joseph Morong, recipient of the 2015 McLuhan Fellowship award, will be speaking with our grade 11 and 12 students at Marshall McLuhan Catholic Secondary School on February 11th at 1:00 p.m.
Mr. Morong is a senior reporter for GMA network Inc., one of the largest news organizations in the Philippines. He was named the 19th Marshall McLuhan Fellow in recognition of his 2014 reportage of the complex issues surrounding the peace process in Mindanao and other governance issues such as the allegations of misuse of congressional funds.
The Marshall McLuhan Prize is the flagship public diplomacy initiative for the Embassy of Canada in Manila. Launched in 1997, it encourages investigative journalism in the Philippines with the belief that a strong media is essential to a strong democratic society. This is a wonderful and inspirational opportunity for our students!
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Education, Events, Ideas, journalism, Lectures, Meetings | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, communication, culture, education, events, lectures, McLuhan Centre, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 19 hours ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 3 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 4 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 4 days ago
- A Short Video on Marshall McLuhan & “The Medium Is The Message” mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/a-s… https://t.co/2ByGb56gZD 6 days ago