McLuminations 16:1 – Global Village Anxiety, The Marshall McLuhan Salon, Embassy of Canada, Berlin
02/06/2016 | 14:00 EST | Marshall McLuhan Salon, Embassy of Canada
transmediale and the Marshall McLuhan Salon of the Embassy of Canada present a new edition of the discussion series McLuminations, titled Global Village Anxiety. The series is curated and moderated by Baruch Gottlieb, featuring the media researchers Andrew Clement and Steffi Winkler. The participants will engage in a conversation on anxieties about future technologies and how mediated forms of communication can either heighten or alleviate such anxieties. The conversants interact with McLuhan’s ideas through archival video clips, warming up the “cool media” of video through an irreverent live exchange.
The Marshall McLuhan Salon has the largest audiovisual archive about the media philosopher Herbert Marshall McLuhan outside of Canada, and will be open during the festival.
Initiated and directed by Baruch Gottlieb as a special series of events during the McLuhan Centennial Year 2011, McLuminations aims to elaborate in a form of lively discussions the electronic media experience. It employs archival video material of Marshall McLuhan in attempts to articulate the contours of what McLuhan calls the “in depth” participation of the inhabitants of an instantaneous electronic media environment.Doors open: 13:30 The event is in English, admission is free. Please register below.Please present a valid photo-ID at the door and allow sufficient time for Embassy security. Address: Marshall McLuhan Salon, Embassy of Canada, Leipziger Platz 17, 10117 Berlin, U/S Potsdamer Platz
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Education, Events, Ideas, Media Ecology, Meetings, Scholars, Technology | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, communication, culture, education, Europe, events, ideas, media ecology, technology
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 19 hours ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 3 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 4 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 4 days ago
- A Short Video on Marshall McLuhan & “The Medium Is The Message” mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/a-s… https://t.co/2ByGb56gZD 6 days ago