Gigi Grande of ABS-CBN is the 2016 Marshall McLuhan Fellow, Philippines
ABS-CBN journalist Gigi Grande is this year’s recipient of the prestigious Marshall McLuhan fellowship sponsored by the Embassy of Canada.
By Demerie Dangla, ABS-CBN News
The award, named after the Canadian media and communications scholar, was given to Grande at the Jaime V. Ongpin Journalism Seminar conducted by the Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR) in Makati.
Students and professionals also attended the seminar which tackled the 2016 elections media coverage, the Duterte administration, and human rights.
Five panelists – Rappler’s Michael Bueza, TV5’s Ed Lingao, Philippine Daily Inquirer’s Ryan Rosauro, Philippine Graphic’s Joel Pablo Salud, and ABS-CBN’s Gigi Grande – were selected to be part of the seminar, mainly for the body of work they produced during the 2016 elections, but not excluding their other journalistic output.
Grande produced special and in-depth reports covering the pre-2016 poll campaign and the election period for both online and television, including those that looked into the party-list system, campaign rules, social issues, and candidates’ character.
During the seminar, when asked the about the role of media in the campaign, Grande emphasized media’s task to “keep track of all the promises of candidates and fact-check it.”
By being a McLuhan fellow, Grande will embark on a two-week familiarization and lecture tour of Canadian media and academic organizations, and later, a lecture tour in Philippine universities.
ABS-CBN’s veteran broadcast journalist Lynda Jumilla was awarded the Marshall McLuhan Fellowship in 2012.
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Education, journalism, Press Release, TV | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, Awards, communication, education, events, media
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 8 hours ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 1 day ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 2 days ago
- A Short Video on Marshall McLuhan & “The Medium Is The Message” mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/a-s… https://t.co/2ByGb56gZD 3 days ago
- B.W. Powe’s Homage to Leonard Cohen, February,@2017 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/18/b-w… https://t.co/65pjFhEbxX 5 days ago