A New Book of Harold Innis Writings: Harold Innis Reflects: Memoir & WWI Writings/Correspondence
Harold Innis Reflects: Memoir & WWI Writings/ Correspondence
Edited by William J. Buxton; Michael R. Cheney & Paul Heyer –Foreword by Anne Innis Dagg
Offering fresh insight into the early life of Harold Adams Innis (1894-1952), this volume makes available a number of previously unpublished writings from the renowned Canadian economic historian and media scholar.
Part I, Innis’s autobiographical memoir, chronicles his farm-based family background, early education, military service during World War I, and the beginnings of what would become a distinguished academic career. Part II features a selection of correspondence during his military service, revealing both the pain and perceptions derived from that experience, and other war-related writings. It also includes “The Returned Soldier,” a detailed piece of research and a compassionate plea to recognize how the aftermath of the Great War would affect those who served as well as the individuals and institutions on the home front. Years before the term “post-traumatic stress disorder” was coined, Innis was acutely aware of the condition and suggested ways in which it might be treated. Other war-related items included are Innis’s first published article (dealing with the economics of the soldier) and a draft speech composed in the fall of 1918. All original materials have been extensively annotated to provide context for the contemporary reader and researcher.
Rowman & Littlefield Publishers – Pages: 260 • Size: 7 1/2 x 10 1/2
Harold Innis canoeing on the Peace River, 1924
Filed under: Announcement, Books, Education, Innis, Remembrance, Scholars | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, books, communication, culture, education, ideas, Innis, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago