McLuhan Centre Fall Program Week 1: Monday Night Seminar, November 7, 2016
Inaugural Monday Night Seminar, Monday November 7th, 6:00 PM
The McLuhan Centre for Culture & Technology, Faculty of Information (iSchool) at the University of Toronto, is pleased to announce a Fall 2016/Winter 2017 rollout of events. Weekly sessions carry on the “Monday Night Seminar” tradition of McLuhan, where open, frank and sometimes explosive exchange takes place in the same intimate Coach House setting where McLuhan once held court.
A roster of programs for Fall 2016/Winter 2017 brings together an eclectic mix of innovators and thinkers from the university and the larger global village. This program of events is designed to challenge notions, provoke thought and help us imagine our collective future.
2016/2017 theme: The new shape of things: Big Data, Big Stories
Our theme last year was “City as Classroom” where we sought insight and experience that the city has to offer to inform and stimulate. This year we go beyond the city in exploring the extent to which McLuhan’s adage that “the medium is the message” applies to the underlying influences of our data surround and in particular “big data” that shape and influence how we see, act and grow.
We seek to explore data both literally and metaphorically from a variety of perspectives of science, the arts, business, industry and academe.
DATE AND TIME: Mon, 7 November 2016 – 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EST Add to Calendar
LOCATION: McLuhan Centre for Culture & Technology, 39A Queens Park Crescent East off 121 St. Joseph St., Toronto, ON M5S 2C3 View Map
REGISTER NOW at http://goo.gl/HLTziB
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Education, Events, Media Ecology, Monday Night Seminar, New Media, Scholars, Technology | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, education, events, meetings, technology, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago