Our Present as Predicted Half a Century Ago by Marshall McLuhan
MyToba.ca, the Manitoba news and information service, published the following comments and a short video of Marshall McLuhan on the last day of 2016. His predictions relate to space exploration, a personalized information service not unlike a combination of Google plus Wikipedia, the unharmonious global village with its loss of secrecy, racial conflict, media as extensions of humans, amplifying human powers, the idea that “the future of the future is the present”, ever-present wars, his personal habit of only reading the right-hand page of any book, which, because of the redundancy of books, he can figure out what he hadn’t read with his own “noodle”, an ability that he attributed to his ability to use his right brain hemisphere with its holistic and imaginative capacities. (Thanks to Howard Engel in Winnipeg for this.)
Today In History – December 31
Winnipeg, Manitoba – Today In History in 1980, Marshall McLuhan died at age 69. McLuhan was educated at the University of Manitoba, as well as the University of Cambridge. McLuhan was a University of Toronto professor, writer, and communications guru. McLuhan was born July 21, 1911 in Edmonton, Alberta, and was the author of “Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man,” made famous for his statement that “The Medium Is The Message.” As we think about what 2017 has in store, watch above as McLuhan makes some amazingly accurate predictions about our world.
Filed under: Commentary, Future, Ideas, Media Ecology, News, Quotes, Remembrance, Video | Leave a Comment
Tags: communication, culture, events, global village, ideas, media ecology, video
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- How technology spawned a global village — and created a world of dissension &@strife mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/04/23/how… 2 days ago
- Someone combined the best parts of the Kindle and iPad mashable.com/2017/04/18/pap… via @mashable 6 days ago
- Postmodern Display: Staging the Mind of Marshall McLuhan – The Illumination of… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/pos… https://t.co/pLhGrmzefD 1 week ago
- The Movie Theatre Blowhard From Annie Hall Finally Gets His Say mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/04/06/the… https://t.co/VsrdsiQ5de 2 weeks ago
- A Technology Example of McLuhan’s Reversal of Cause and Effect mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/29/a-t… https://t.co/GaUWs0SFsN 3 weeks ago