Marshall McLuhan at the Perception ’67 LSD Convention at the University of Toronto
Allen Ginsberg was one of several high-profile guests at a controversial conference on LSD held at the University of Toronto in 1967. (DON DUTTON)
Panelists largely supported LSD use, saying it boosted human creativity to previously-unseen levels.
“The use of these drugs, I think, has a very positive effect on writers. They are used by almost all the avant-garde,” Ginsberg said during an on-stage interview.
Star columnist Sidney Katz, however, bemoaned youth using it as a sort of psychological instant gratification.
“The very people who should not be taking LSD are the ones using it; people take it because they feel they are not where the action is,” Katz said.
Perception ’67, according to the Star, ended with an ear-thrashing courtesy of The Fugs—a hairy, psychedelic rock collective from New York:
“Suddenly, the whole audience of 2,000 heard the Fugs screaming words that are only an echo today—they probably won’t be heard again.” (Source: https://goo.gl/0k7yAx )
Marshall McLuhan in his Coach House study with a picture of Allen Ginsburg over his books
See also Timothy Leary, Marshall McLuhan & Electronic Media – https://goo.gl/eKYfsJ
See also Timothy Leary and Marshall McLuhan, turned on and tuned in – https://goo.gl/DkUpXd
“Electric technology, by virtue of its immediate relation to our nervous system, is itself a sort of inner trip, with drugs playing the role of sub-plot or alternative mode. It may well appear a few years hence that the panic about psychedelic drugs relates less to the chemistry than to the hidden terrors which people feel in the presence of electric technology.” –Marshall McLuhan, June 1974
Filed under: Articles, Commentary, LSD, New Media, Quotes, Remembrance | 2 Comments
Tags: articles, culture, education, events, media, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- New Book Publication Announcement: THE RESPONSIVE CHORD (2nd edition) by Tony Schwartz mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/new… https://t.co/DPpxewK9mr 18 hours ago
- New Book Publication Announcement – Taking Up McLuhan’s Cause Perspectives on Media and Formal Causality mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/new… 2 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement – Remediating McLuhan by Richard Cavell mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/new… https://t.co/iIJoYoVWSP 3 days ago
- Photographs From the transmediale Marshall McLuhan 2017 Lecture by Dr. Dr. Sarah… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/02/18/pho… https://t.co/yBCFr2TNJP 5 days ago
- Marshall McLuhan Predicted Digital-Mediated Tribalism mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/mar… https://t.co/Em0wIP0dwl 1 week ago