Photographs From the transmediale Marshall McLuhan 2017 Lecture by Dr. Sarah Sharma, Berlin
This year’s transmediale Marshall McLuhan Lecture was delivered by Sarah Sharma, Director of the McLuhan Program in Culture & Technology at the University of Toronto, who focuses on the intersectional politics of time, class, gender, and race in her research. For the lecture, Sharma spoke under the title “Exit and the Extensions of Man”, which extends from her ongoing research on the male fantasy of exit as it manifests itself in a set of seemingly disparate sites: nationalist movements, robots designed to provide loving care, and the leftist refusal of work paradigm. While taking stock of this masculinist penchant for exit and paying particular attention to the «message» and extensions of our new machines, Sharma considered whether a door has opened for a feminist exit movement. In her talk, Sharma wondered who will pick up the pieces when the robots leave and there is nowhere left to go?
A video of her lecture will be posted here when it becomes available online. These photographs have been made available by transmediale in Berlin and additional photos can be viewed at https://goo.gl/ZgTVLY .
transmediale Marshall McLuhan Lecture 2017: Exit & the Extensions of Man
(Click on photos for an expanded view.)
Kristoffer Gansing introducing the Marshall McLuhan Lecture 2017
Dr. Sarah Sharma presenting the lecture: “Exit and the Extensions of Man”
Baruch Gottlieb (left) in conversation with Dr. Sarah Sharma (right)
Read about Dr. Sarah Sharma, Director of the McLuhan Program in Culture & Technology at the University of Toronto here https://goo.gl/j63tfc .
Filed under: Academic, Education, Ideas, Lectures, Media Ecology, New Media, Photographs, Scholars | Leave a Comment
Tags: academic, communication, culture, education, Europe, ideas, lectures, media, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago