If McLuhan Were Here Today : A Poem by Hannah Strait, Student
Teachers are always thrilled when a student of theirs gets a work they’ve written published, and even more so when that work was created in the first place for a school assignment. That was the case for Dr. Roxanne O’Connell, Professor of Communication, Visual and New Media at Roger Williams University in Bristol, Rhode Island. Her student Hannah Strait submitted a poem titled If McLuhan Were Here Today for an assignment in her media studies course called McLuhan’s Global Village. It was submitted in a significantly longer version than the extract below, which was the one that was published. I’m sure that Marshall McLuhan, poetry lover himself, would have enjoyed receiving poetry as an assignment submission, rather than just another academic paper. Congratulations, Hannah!
If McLuhan Were Here Today
by Hannah H. Strait
A heightened form of visual outlook,
Awakened to unrecorded conduct.
Conquering experience like a crook,
Rendering experience picked and plucked.
Showing people, instead of being us:
Pure perception is gained by life process.
The constant perpetual sharing is a fuss.
We must do for our internal progress.
The end of that tale can be quite woeful.
Mass consumed, mass produced, and we abuse.
The mind becomes numb, and life is dull,
No one stops to smell the flowers like ewes.
Our ego’s impulse is to stop caring,
What happens around us does not matter.
Now holding in our thoughts is daring,
And private sacred moments shatter.
What sort of hypocrisy happens here?
When GoPro petitions we are ‘hero’s’:
War joins the utile tool to drones building fear,
Loathsome, hideous deaths then tools bestow.
We must stop prostituting precious life.
Immerse yourself in the nature of things,
End your misery, your destruction, and strife.
Discover, and explore the beauty that brings.
Filed under: Academic, Education, Ideas, Literature, Poetry | 2 Comments
Tags: academic, communication, culture, education, literature, media, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 18 hours ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 3 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 4 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 4 days ago
- A Short Video on Marshall McLuhan & “The Medium Is The Message” mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/a-s… https://t.co/2ByGb56gZD 6 days ago