B.W. Powe’s Homage to Leonard Cohen, February, 2017
Leonard Cohen (1934 – 2016)
This posting is obviously not about Marshall McLuhan, but I feel confident that the late great media visionary would approve. B.W. Powe, who was a student of McLuhan at the University of Toronto in the fall of 1978 in his last offering of his English 1000 graduate course, Media & Society, has written extensively about Marshall McLuhan in A Climate Charged: Essays on Canadian Writers (1984) (which also included an essay on Leonard Cohen), The Solitary Outlaw (1996) and in his magnum opus, Marshall McLuhan & Northrop Frye: Apocalypse & Alchemy (2014), based on his doctoral dissertation. And I sense McLuhan’s influence in other published writings, both fiction and poetry, by Bruce as well. Marshall McLuhan would have been aware of Leonard Cohen in the 1960s as a rising poet and fiction writer contributing to a nascent Canadian literature.
Bruce (B.W.) paid tribute to Leonard Cohen shortly before he died, along with Joni Mitchell and Patti Smith, in his talk otherwise dedicated to Bob Dylan, the recent Nobel Prize for Literature recipient, at last October’s Toronto School of Communication conference at the University of Toronto. I hope the readers of this blog will appreciate this poetic homage to the late Leonard Cohen, as I do.
…is the world a poem
we’re all composing?
Leonard, you said Mystery lives Lorca lives
in New York City
in the way Magic is alive God is alive
But today on el Paseo de los Tristes
sightseers swear they saw uncanny figures,
kindred shades, one chanting
the other playing a flamenco guitar
their lyrics and strings striking light
in the white-stone place
the gypsies call
the area of morning
From B.W. Powe’s Andalusian poems, a work in progress
Filed under: Literature, Obituary, Poetry, Remembrance, Writers | Leave a Comment
Tags: communication, culture, literature, Toronto, university
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 19 hours ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 3 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 4 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 4 days ago
- A Short Video on Marshall McLuhan & “The Medium Is The Message” mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/a-s… https://t.co/2ByGb56gZD 6 days ago