New Book Announcement: The Sensus Communis, Synesthesia & the Soul by Eric McLuhan
In this essay of extraordinary scope and depth, Eric McLuhan explores faith as a form of knowing. He does so against the backdrop of preliterate man’s concrete, bodily submersion in the putting on of poetry and drama (the practice of mimesis) and post-literate man’s bodiless submersion in electronic communication, in which sender and receiver are everywhere and nowhere at once. In traversing the Aristotelian and Medieval concept of sensus communis, he examines synesthesia as, in effect, its operating system and charts the modern and contemporary mandate to embrace the discarnate. He washes up on the shore of religion as he uncovers a trinity of knowledge, that is, three kinds of sensus communis – the five physical senses, the four intellectual senses of Scripture (historical, allegorical, tropological, and anagogical), and the three theological senses (faith, hope, and charity)-each of the three complete in itself yet interacting with one another. A fascinating odyssey that will dazzle the senses.
Addendum October 28: Eric McLuhan is launching his latest book ‘The Sensus Communis, Synesthesia and the Soul: an Odyssey‘ at the McLuhan Centre for Culture & Technology, St. Michael’s College, U of Toronto on Friday, November 6 at 7pm. All are welcome.
- Paperback: 142 pages
- Publisher: BPS Books (September 30, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1772360228
- ISBN-13: 978-1772360226
- Available in paperback or Kindle editions
- Amazon.com Listing: http://tinyurl.com/psrkskl
- Amazon.ca Listing: http://tinyurl.com/oxr7h5p
Eric McLuhan, PhD, a renowned literary and communications theorist, is also the author, most recently, of Cynic Satire, The Human Equation series (written with mime artist Wayne Constantineau), Theories of Communication, and Media and Formal Cause. Earlier, he co-authored essays and books with Marshall McLuhan including Laws of Media: The New Science and published The Role of Thunder in Finnegans Wake, among other books. McLuhan lives in Bloomfield, Ontario.
Filed under: Academic, Announcement, Books, Education, Ideas, Literature, Religion | 2 Comments
Tags: communication, culture, education, Eric McLuhan, ideas, religion
A Man for All Media
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tagsacademic advertising anniversary art articles biography books business call for papers centenary communication conferences culture DEW Line cards e-readers Edmonton education Eric McLuhan Europe events exhibitions films Glenn Gould global village humour ideas information Innis Internet interviews John Lennon journalism language Laws of Media lectures letters libraries literature McLuhan McLuhan Centre McLuhan Quotes media media ecology medium is the massage meetings music Neil Postman newspapers New York Northrop Frye Ong Other MM Publications Performance photography pictures politics print radio reading References religion review rhetoric science technology Ted Carpenter theatre theory Toronto tribal TV university video website Winnipeg
- McLuhan Salon #5: Toronto Creative City mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mcl… https://t.co/mWM8Z889FS 1 day ago
- The Great Marshall McLuhan-Northrop Frye Debate, At the McLuhan Centre for Culture &… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/the… https://t.co/x66WYIwmdU 3 days ago
- Special Issue of The Journal of Media Literacy on Agency mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/spe… https://t.co/D4NoL8cG9I 5 days ago
- New Book Publication Announcement: The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan By Marshall McLuhan… mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/new… https://t.co/lChSaLxxKk 6 days ago
- McLuhan Centre Monday Night Seminar – Showcasing Undergraduate Student Work, March 27 mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/mcl… https://t.co/msVwQ5cK7Z 1 week ago